Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Nostalgic Food Trip...SR THAI Cuisine



simple unassuming Thai delight of a restaurant...

their chicken pandan is outstanding
When I have those wistful moments of reminiscing my med rep days in Parke Davis, I won’t forget SR Thai Cuisine. That off the beaten path kind of diner near UST where we hung out often as we waited for doctor coverage [how I met BabyClydeLove]…I sure had a gustatory enchantment!

Just for the heck of it, I ate out again at the Sampaloc branch. This Thai restaurant has two branches: one in Katipunan near Ateneo and UP and another near UST. That was where I headed to.
condiments you'd regret missing out on

MY ULTIMATE favorite here! chilli milk sauce
Since I got acquainted with it, Thai food started to gain its popularity in the late nineties here in the Philippines. What I noticed though is that not many start-ups would embark on this cuisine because most Pinoys still opt for the Chinese or Japanese chow when it comes to being oriental. I wonder why. Perhaps most Pinoys can’t stand the heat of the spices? Well, I’m Bicolana so I’m used to eating red chilli peppers in all my ulam, sawsawan and nuts. No sili, my meal is sooooo…so,so.

Thai bagoong rice with green mango strips
SR Thai Cuisine has the specials and the regulars. The dessert line-up here is not extensive, though. SR Thai Cuisine really banks on its main meals. Check out their menu. You’d notice an abundance of the dish “Ho Fan”. Wonder what are Ho Fan Noodles? These are a wide and flat Chinese rice noodle similar to the vermicelli noodles found in Pad Thai or Vietnamese Pho. I saw packs of it in the international section of Gaisano grocery here in Legaspi and the price is quite expensive. I’ll get back to the cost [forgot to take note of it].

What comes into your mind when Thai food is mentioned? Perhaps Tom Yum Goong.....that favorite Thai hot prawn soup seasoned with lime, lemon grass and chilli.

TAD BITS….

SR Thai Cuisine
 965 P. Noval St., Sampaloc Quezon City
734-5443 (Phone)

MUST TRIES [ones I ate then and now and still made me tingly with yumminess!]

These are all priced at P95.00 ----
·       S.R. Seafood Fried Rice
·       S.R. Seafood w/ Chilli Milk Sauce …
o   This one I’d never trade for anything else in the menu!!! It’s really a must-try, I tell you…
·       S.R. Hot & Sour Seafood 
·       S.R. Bagoong Rice 
o   Next to my number one love [Seafood w/ Chilli Milk Sauce]
·       S.R. Chicken Pandan 
o   They got it so crispy and uber-tasty here
·       S.R. Sizzling Beef / Chicken/ Pork BBQ      
·       Hofan Beef / Seafood Soup 
·       S.R. Crabmeat Curry Sauce 
·       S.R. Pad Thai / Kao Moo Thod / Kao Kai Thod
o    Thai fried rice or noodles with bean sprouts, egg and ground peanuts
·       Fried Hofan with Seafood, Beef,  Pork or Chicken

These are at P105.00----
·       S.R. Kaeng Keaw Wan Kai                             
·       S.R. Pia Thod Kratiem Prikthai
(these are crispy chicken,pork,beef in stir fried vegetables with garlic and pepper sauce]

1 comment:

  1. This is incredible - you did an amazing job!!! I have come some advice to about culinary schools old ornbaun hot springs CA. Thanks for sharing.....

    ReplyDelete