Friday, August 24, 2012

Santorini in my mind



August 16, 2012

Today is such a very fine summer-like day in Bicol, particularly in Tabaco City, that I am inspired to catch up on my writing. With the breezy lazy Thursday afternoon and the Island Chill Out music in the background, my mind wanders into Santorini-esque panorama. It’s August; supposedly there should be torrential rains. It had but my town is spared from nature’s wrath lately. Sadly, it’s metro Manila that’s been badly hit this year.

Why I chose Santorini in my visualization has largely to do with the blue skies, the refreshing zephyr and the tufts of clouds up above. I haven’t been there but seeing it on tv and magazines, I can easily picture it out. And since our home is a stark white against nature, it’s just perfect that I picked up the vista in that little picturesque town in Greece. We don’t have blue roofs, however. But we do have a three-storey white to cream structure.

Talk about food: For lunch today, Manoy made us pasta negra; spaghetti dressed with squid ink infused with ginger in olive oil to remove the fishiness and smothered in roasted garlic. The yumminess factor will be amped up when next time he cooks it, he’ll sprinkle it generously with roasted ground pili nuts. We’re not by the Aegean Sea where Santorini is but what we just gobbled up at lunch is more than its bounty. So delicious!!!

For snacks in between the day, I had our constant supply of banana fritters and a creamed coffee by manay. We just love this couple that nurtures us!

No comments:

Post a Comment